Thursday, February 14, 2013

Anxiety About Your Children Riding the School Bus

Mother kissing daughter as she gets on school bus 

My five year old just started attending an Early Language Development school and now she takes a school bus to and from school.  I was really nervous about her riding the school bus.  I used to take her to school myself and I knew she arrived safely.  Then I would pick her up from school and I made sure she didn't forget anything.  Now I have to give somebody else that control and that really bothers me.  I do have a choice though.  If I want I can drive her to school and pick her up myself, but I figured this was a good way to prepare her and myself for next year.  She will be in grade one and will be attending a French Immersion school and she will have to take a big yellow school bus to and from school.  Right now she rides a small yellow school bus, so I'm taking baby steps.  

I met with her teacher and she explained the school bus procedures.  She advised me what happens when the school bus arrives at the school and assured me that there's always a teacher outside to meet the children.  Again, I hate the idea of giving somebody else that control.  I also met with the bus driver and confirmed some information.  I prepared myself the night before by double checking the bus number and the exact intersection the bus would be picking her up from.  I also confirmed the time the bus would be arriving.  I prepared my daughter by repeatedly telling her that she will be going to a new school and riding the school bus to and from school instead of me driving her.  She was so excited for her first day at her new school as she couldn't wait to ride the school bus.  Obviously this was easier for her than it was for me. 

When I picked her up from where the bus dropped her off she was thrilled that she got to ride the school bus.  I have to admit I feel a little better now.  In my opinion it's normal for parents to feel anxiety about their children riding the school bus for the first time. 

Do your children ride the school bus?  How do you feel about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment