Thursday, January 17, 2013

Combing Your Child's Curly Hair

Mixed race mother brushing daughter's hair 

I have three girls and they are mixed (half white and half black) so they have thick curly hair.  Well, my third daughter is only eight months old so she doesn't have that much hair yet.  I'm hoping her hair grows thin but I'm not holding my breath.

My children have beautiful hair but combing it is a challenge.  My five year old has hair past her shoulders and she has thick small curls.  She gets very dramatic when I comb her hair.  She usually cries or whines.  My three year old has very thick small curls.  Her hair is harder to comb because she has more tangles as it's thicker.  When I notice their ends are harder to comb through I take them for a trim.

If you have a little one with thick, curly hair there's things you can do to easily maintain it and keep it tangle-free:

During a bath after you shampoo their hair and rinse, apply some conditioner and comb through it with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb.  Rinse it thoroughly.

Use a leave-in conditioner.  Apply some to their wet hair and comb it with a wide-tooth comb.  I recommend not using a brush as this will make their hair frizz and cause split ends.

On dry hair use a detangling moisturizer and comb through it with a wide-tooth comb. 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment