Monday, November 5, 2012

Helping Your Children Read

It's important for parents to read with their children.  In my opinion, it's a good idea for parents to start when their children are young as it prepares them for school.  Understanding how to read will help enhance their self-confidence and motivate them to want to learn more.  There are different things parents can do to make reading fun.

Flash cards-These are easy and fun to do with your children.  I did flash cards with my five year old when she was learning how to use the potty as it was a good way to pass the time.  I would mix them up to make sure she really recognized the letters.

Pointing at the words-When I read with my five year old I point to the words so she becomes familiar with them. 

Laminating sheets-I wanted my five year old to practice writing her letters and her name, so I decided to print some letter sheets and laminate them.  I also purchased some dry erase markers so she could repeatedly trace the letters and her name.  I'm going to start doing this with my three year old as she starts kindergarten next September. 

Educational games-My children love playing educational games on the computer.  They also enjoy playing with their LeapFrog.  My three year old is getting better at tracing her letters because of her LeapFrog.

There are so many things parents can do to help their little ones read.  Be creative and have fun with it :-)

1 comment: