Monday, November 19, 2012

When Your Children are Sick

Mother beside child in bed.
Every parent dreads the words "Mommy I don't feel well."  God knows I have heard those words or similar words from my children enough times.  My five year old is very expressive, so when she's sick I know instantly.  When my three year old is sick she's very quiet and not herself.

If your child is in school or daycare they're most likely going to catch something and bring it home.  It's frustrating when one child is sick because you try really hard to keep them away from the other children that are well to prevent the spread of germs.  Sometimes it's challenging because they still want to play together.  While my children are sick sharing cups, utensils or food is out of the question.  If they cough or sneeze I encourage them to use a tissue and wash their hands.

It's important for me to stay healthy because they need me to take care of them.  I wash my hands frequently and sanitize any surfaces that might have been touched by my sick child.  I limit my kisses on their face until they're better, but I comfort them and give them lots of hugs and love.     



2 comments:

  1. I think the precautions you’re doing are already great, Wendy. In fact, other parents should try those to keep their kids from catching each other’s sicknesses and to keep the parents healthy as well. I’d like to add that you should make sure your kids get enough Vit C, either through supplements or the natural way. It’s also better to make them take multivitamins, especially if they avoid eating fruits and veggies. Also, don’t just give them antibiotics whenever they’re sick. It’s still best to consult your pediatrician since your kids may get immune to antibiotics, and future bacteria-related diseases might become hard to treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that you need to be fit and healthy because your children need you. You wouldn’t be able to take care of them if you’re also sick, so the safety measures you mentioned here are really important. They can serve as a helpful reminder to everyone. They seem simple, but these things are usually the ones people tend to disregard.

    ReplyDelete